Thursday, September 6, 2012

Prayer Triggers

In previous posts I have mentioned how I have situations that trigger me to pray such as when I can't sleep at night and when I am riding my bicycle. Lately I have been chewing on developing objects as prayer triggers. Triggers? Something that reminds you about something like a string tied around your finger or a song you sing.

Prayer is an invitation for God to work in our world. A lack of prayer is a hand held up to God saying "Stay out, I've got this, I can do this on my own"- which is generally not a good thing. Consequently inviting God to work in and around us is very important so discovering things that promote time spent with God in prayer is good.

What if we associated things we see in every day life to prompt us to pray for specific people or situations?

The last few weeks I have been playing with this idea and have found it rather productive in my prayer life. For example every time I see a bag of sugar I am reminded to pray for a specific person who has been upon my heart for a while. The power of prayer triggers is the capture of what might have been wasted time and transforms it into a time to pray. Pushing a grocery cart down the aisle at a grocery store can be a mundane task until a bag of sugar comes into view and BAM! I am reminded to pray.

Try it out. Figure out something you will see from time to time that is associated with the person or situation that needs prayer. Then every time you see that item let it be a reminder to briefly lift that person or situation up in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment