Thursday, September 26, 2013

Prayer

Sometimes God places things on my heart that don't go away until I have responded. This was the case in 2007 when he began placing upon my heart the conviction to go back to Russia and adopt children one more time which came to happen in 2009. Well... God has been placing something upon my heart for a number of months, a conviction that we as the Sugar Grove church need to be praying far more than we are. He has placed upon my heart that we need to be praying about where we are going as a church as well as praying about one another. 

Often when God is trying to get my attention he does so by giving me an unsettled feeling and I have had this feeling for a number of months now. What is frustrating is that I recognize God is up to something but I still don't completely understand what it is that God is trying to tell me. All I know is that it has been strongly upon my heart that we need to pray. 

We need to pray for one another because members at Sugar Grove are facing a seemingly unprecedented number of challenges. In fact I have been startled how it has seemed for the last 18 or so months that our members have been facing far more than the normal level of unforeseen problems. It is as if a spiritual battle has been unleashed against us. We need to be praying for and over and with each other. 

We need to pray for the church as a whole and where God is taking us. God has been leading a portion of the Sugar Grove leadership to begin to recognize that church is more than just attendance at an event on a Sunday morning.  

A few weeks ago it popped in my head that it would be cool to reverse how we do an invitation on a Sunday morning. Instead of having a few people wait down front for anyone that might decide to come down for prayers we ought to have teams of people that allow the Holy Spirit to guide them during the 'invitation' to seek out people to pray with. 

I understand that before my time Wednesday nights were prayer meetings- times that the church would get together simply to pray. Maybe we need times together where in an unplanned fashion we simply pray allowing whomever the Spirit leads to lift up prayers to God and pray over people and pray for God's guidance as a church. 

The bottom line is that we (I, you, us) are not spending enough time in prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment